Wednesday, January 23, 2013

New Paint

The thought of painting sounds easy. Looking at the walls and envisioning a new paint color sounds easy! picking out paint is easy! buying paint is easy! Starting to paint is a PAIN!!!!!!.

On Saturday I decided to repaint the dinning room. When we first moved in the dinning room was red and the chair rail was really low. We thought about doing  fuax wainscoting on the bottom and paint the top part a gray. Then Chris decides he wants a lighter color, maybe white. We settled for a really light gray from Behr called Natural Gray.  With two coats it just looked okay. When natural sunlight hit certain areas you could see a slight purple hue. This was most likely caused by the red underneath.

We had it like this for month or so and never got around to doing anything about it. Now that I have Saturday's all to myself I took matters into my own hands and decided to paint. I went for a Martha Stewart color called Cement. It's a nice medium color that we both loved and almost painted the family room with this color before we discovered Seal.

I stared painting around 8 am. I used the green Frogs tape. It works better then the blue painters tape.  It took me about and hour and a half to tape and this is because I thought I was going to just paint the top part of the wall and paint the bottom white.  Afterwards I started to paint.....and paint......and paint some more.  After finishing the top part I was not to crazy about leaving the bottom white. I did not start the white part yet but I was trying to envision what it would look like. Our dinning room has a lot of white molding and built-in cabinets and I thought that if I did go for the faux wainscoting, there would be too much white. So I painted the bottom portions too and 2 coats later and a sushi lunch in between, I was done.

I love the overall finish of it . I think the paint looks richer and compliments our hardwood floors.

 

20120729_112515

This was the original color.

 

photo 3 (4) - Copy.

The bottom half was the Natural Gray by Behr. As you can see it was really light and not quite gray.

 

photo 5 (2) - Copy

This is after 2 coats.

photo 4 (2) - Copy

I'might paint my women cave this color. I think it would look cute with pink and gold accents....maybe.

 

Anywhos. I hope you guys are staying warm!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment